Saturday 6 April 2013

The Great British Sewing Bee

I've just finished watching the first episode of this new programme, it was on last Tuesday on BBC 2, however I recorded and watched it latter as it clashed with Holby City!

I was intrigued and excited to see a programme about sewing with members of the public, albeit the "cream of amateur sewers" competing to make the best items. I enjoyed Project Catwalk when it was on a few years ago, which was way beyond my skills with pattern designing and drafting, but the "Sewing Bee" sounds like much more my level!

I understood the programme would take a similar format to 'The Great British Bake Off' and it did!  The first challenge was to make an 'A line'Skirt from a provided pattern in 3 hours.  The 2nd task was to alter and embellish the neckline of a simple top in 1 hour. And the 3rd task was to make a dress from a pattern of their own choosing, but to fit it to a live shapely model in 7 hours.

One sewer got sent home, having not proved herself, a 2nd contestant was supposed to go too,  but one had already gone home sick, so will be allowed back next week.  I personally would have sent a different contestant home from the results I could see!  But they seem to gloss over some of the contestants finished items, so I couldn't particularly judge.

I'm not sure that they really have the 'Cream' of amatuer sewers, but there again I'm not sure that  I would do a perfect job given the time restraints.  I shall be watching again this week, as although I have been sewing for many many years, I have learnt a thing or two... namely invisible zips! and I shall be buying an invisible zip foot for my machine.

Of course there is a book to accompany the programme, reviews appear good!  



Sarah xx




No comments:

Post a Comment